Arjowiggins Graphic believes certifications are an integral part of environmental responsibility throughout the paper production process and an important part of encouraging world-wide regulated standards.
Arjowiggins Graphic’s labelling initiative is particularly important since it forms part of our overall transparency policy. Each and every label and certiﬁcation that our products obtain is a validation of the work we have done, and encourages us to maintain our environmental focus. Labels in use in the paper industry relate to forest management, manufacturing processes, deinking methods and the life cycles of products. They involve all aspects of what we do.
Focus on Labels and certiﬁcations
- FSC ® - Many of our products hold the FSC® Recycled certification. This guarantees the source products we use come from 100% recycled materials that are at least 85% post-consumer. Meaning they are produced from paper which has been used by the consumer, collected, sorted and recycled through an industrial process.
- EU Ecolabel - The EU Ecolabel helps consumers to identify products and services that have a reduced environmental impact throughout their life cycle, from the extraction of raw material through to production, use and disposal.
- ISO 9001- International Quality Management Standard
- ISO 14001 - Internationally recognised environmental management standard. Based on the principle of continual improvement, it aims to identify, verify and reduce a business’s environmental impact.
- ISO 50001 - supports organizations in all sectors to use energy more efficiently, through the development of an energy management system (EnMS).
- ISO 9706 - International standard for archive papers.
- OHSAS 18001 - International occupational health and safety management system specification.
- Blue Angel - This eco-label endorsed by the German Ministry for the Environment is designed as a response to the issues of both environmental protection and consumer protection. It requires the use of recycled fibres 100% post-consumer and prohibits the use of optical brightening agents.
- Process Chlorine Free – Paper is manufactured without the use of chlorine. Our papers are Process Chorine Free (PCF) rather than Totally Chlorine Free (TCF) or Elemental Chlorine Free (ECF) as we cannot guarantee that the paper we are recycling did not contain chlorine.
- Heavy Metal Absence – Papers do not contain heavy metals.
- PAS 2020 - a management standard that comprises a series of environmental objectives, performance levels and indicators which set out how to create and manage an environmentally responsible direct marketing campaign.
- Food Contact Approved (ISEGA) – Papers approved to come into contact with foods.
- Archive suitable (DIN 6738) – guarantees the longevity of the paper for archiving.
Certiﬁcation is not an aim or an end in itself – it is a means of conﬁrming that the approach we have adopted is the right one. We are not simply content to meet the speciﬁcations with which we need to comply in order for our products to be awarded certain labels: we are striving to develop our own virtuous circle
Gilles Lhermitte, Head of Sustainable Development, Arjowiggins Graphic