Le Bourray Recycled Paper Mill - Recycled Papers

Le Bourray

Le Bourray Mill was founded in 1848. The Mill mainly produces Eural 100% recycled paper as well as Kaleido tissue paper and parts of the Cyclus, Cocoon and RePrint ranges. The mill is located in the heart of Sarthe, close to the city of Le Mans and its legendary race course.

Le Bourray Mill has an in-line pulp and paper production line that effectively takes waste paper in at one end and produces high grade paper at the other. This negates the need to transport pulp at any stage of production which gives Eural a particularly low carbon footprint. Le Bourray’s deinking is a mechanical, chlorine free process.

Le Bourray also boasts a conversion line to sheet and ream wrap A4 Office papers that services the whole of the Arjowiggins Graphic Office Paper range.

Key Details

Location France
Machines 1 deinking line, 2 tissue machines, 1 paper machine
Annual Production 80,000 tonnes of paper 30,000 tons of tissue

Enviromental Certifications

  • FSC ®
  • FSC ® Recycled
  • ISO 14001
  • Reach Compliant
  • FSC ® Mix
  • PEFC
  • ISO 9001
  • ISO 50001
  • OHSAS 18001
  • Process Chlorine Free

Source Materials

  • Post-Consumer Waste
  • Pre-Consumer Waste
  • De-inked pulp/fibre
  • FSC ® Recycled fibres
  • PEFC® Certified fibre

Print Finishes

  • Coated
  • Uncoated
  • Offset
  • Silk
  • Preprint
  • Gloss

Environmental Information

Le Bourray is proud to have achieved ISO 14001, ISO 9001, OHASAS 18001, ISO 50001, EU-Ecolabel, Blue angel, FSC® and Food Contact certification. The mill’s production process is Process Chlorine Free (PCF).

The mill processes around 65,000 tonnes per year of waste paper from two main grades of pulp:

  • Coated woodfree papers, lightly printed, without paper coloured in the mass.
  • White woodfree books without hard covers

In addition, some waste paper is used which contains; sorted white woodfree writing papers free from carbon papers and non-water soluble adhesives.

The process of creating recycled papers involves extracting the cellulose fibres from waste paper; these can be recycled 4 to 5 times for high quality applications before becoming too short for fine paper and graphic paper applications. Water is taken from a nearby river, of which 95% is returned to the river cleaner than when it was extracted.

85% of the residue from water treatment is used to make soil treatment, with the remaining 15% used for compost, both for agricultural use.


Arjowiggins Le Bourray 72470 Saint-Mars-la-Brière – France
Tel: +33 (0)2 43 82 91 00
Fax: +33 (0)2 43 82 91 01
View on google maps

From the showcase

The World We Made

See more in the Paper Showcase